Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Legendary Notebook of Jesus, Einstein, Davenport



The thoughts of an impressionable young man in a bookstore:

Have I heard the legendary legend of the famous Moleskine notebook?

Hmm, says here it's "The Legendary Notebook of Hemingway, Picasso, Chatwin."

Hemmingway! What a terrific writer. I can picture him scribbling in one of these pocket-sized beauties as he dodged bulls in sunny southern Spain.

Picasso!! Wow. I bet he used his Moleskine to sketch a six-headed dragon lady and maybe write a grocery list.

Chatwin!!! . . . Who - . . . Who the Hell is Chatwin? I'd better buy this book before someone starts asking me questions. Good enough for Chatwin (the, uh, famous unicyclist?), good enough for me.

That's strange - says here the company was founded in the 90's -- the nineteen nineties. Di- . . . Did Picasso live to see Hootie and the Blowfish? Oh - what? He died in 1973? Well . . . Picasso must have used some kind of notebook during his life, and . . . since this Moleskine I'm holding is also some kind of notebook . . . it's totally understandable that they would claim he used the exact same books they're selling!

That's a relief. My only regret is that a cute, furry, little enormous mutant mole had to die for them to make the book cover.